help_outline Skip to main content
Add Me To Your Mailing List

News / Articles

November President's Report

Brett Shelton  | Published on 11/5/2020

Greetings!  It’s been another interesting month on ski trip developments.


Our fall campout at Robber’s Cave State Park was a very successful outing.  We had around 20 people attend with about half renting cabins and the other half staying in the RV park.  Friday we had a night at the movies in the campground (Oh Brother Where Art Thou?) with popcorn and Smores.  Saturday, a group of us went hiking, with about half doing 4 miles and the other half doing eight (8).  Saturday evening we had a community fish fry.  Robert Foster provided the fresh catfish and the ‘team’ cooked it.  Great meal! – thanks to all who had a part in preparing it!  Your effort was appreciated!  Sunday morning we had a Breakfast Burrito community meal and began tearing down camp.  Overall, a great time had by all and we’re already working on our next adventure.  Stay tuned for more information OR frequent our FORUMS page for updated info.  I plan on creating a new FORUM topic when we get something put together.


Robbers Cave hike:

October 11th we hosted an Oktoberfest Celebration and ‘sign up’ party in the courtyard at the Shriners facility. TSC provided brats, beer and sides.  Garry Cook brought a couple of laptop computers he had set up to assist people with trip sign-ups (or any other club website issues they were struggling with).  The afternoon was successful and I believe everyone there enjoyed themselves and had a good time.


Wolf Creek has already received 39” of snow this season!  TODAY (Oct. 28) is their first day in operation!  To my knowledge, they are the first resort to open for skiing/boarding this year.  They announced yesterday they planned to be open daily Oct 28 – Nov. 1.  The balance of their November schedule should be announced & published next week.  So far, it’s shaping up to be a fantastic year for snow with several resorts reporting early and significant snow fall.


November SNO is scheduled for Thursday night the 19th.  We’ll begin the evening at Roosters (near 71st & Memorial: 5:00 – 7:00) and conclude the evening at Sun & Ski (7:00 – 9:00) with wine/beer/munchies and extended discounts on most items.


I received my copy of SKI Magazine in the mail a couple of days ago (Monday).  This is what they call their “Resorts 2021: Where to Ski This Season” edition.  Among other things it includes resort rankings from #1 through #30 for both the Western US/Canada and the Eastern US/Canada.  Based upon their rather subjective rankings, it looks like Tulsa has trips scheduled to Telluride (#6), Taos (#4) and Lake Louise (#15).  The Texas Ski council also has a trip scheduled to Snowmass (#5) and Trey Sophy & I have a short trip planned in December to Whitefish, Montana (#3).  Based upon everything I can see, it looks like we’ve stumbled into some pretty good decisions on where to go in 2021!  Thanks to Michael Messimore for putting it together.


Covid protocols continue to be a challenge and something the board and trip captains continue to monitor closely.  Things seem to be changing rather rapidly at times and very honestly could impact our trip destinations before it’s all over.  At present, we are still planning the three club trips (Telluride/Taos/Lake Louise) but recognize that circumstances totally beyond our control could impact those decisions.  Stay tuned for more information as we will get it communicated just as soon as we know something.  I anticipate our web site, Facebook page, MeetUp and email blasts will likely be the various forms of communication we will utilize and will take place once any final decisions or changes are made (by us or for us!).


Marshall McAdams is still actively planning a trip to Machu Picchu and Galapagos Islands in May 2021.  If you are interested, please visit the FORUMS page on our web site for more information or reach out directly to Marshall.  Again, this is not a club trip but Marshall has invited any club members interested in the trip to join him.


George Moudry and I are gearing up to take another run at the two week trip to the Czech Republic and Austria in late May (2021).  If Covid allows, George will take about 20 of us to the “Old Country” to show us the highlights and mostly the ‘off the beaten path’ places he enjoyed as a child/teenager/young man while growing up there.  I think the trip is at or near capacity but if you are interested, please reach out to George (  or me (


Please have a safe and enjoyable November and Thanksgiving season.  We’ll see you at Roosters/Sun & Ski on Nov. 19.  No decision has been made on General Membership meeting for November.  We’ll get the word out just as soon as possible.  In the mean time and as always, please contact me with any questions or comments you might have.


Brett Shelton


Tulsa Ski Club

918-906-3174 (call/text)